Blog 24: Exit Interview Questions
Content:
(1) What is your essential question? What is the best answer to your question and why?
How best can foster care services help a foster care child graduate from highschool? The best answer to my essential question is, increasing stability in foster children's lives. The reason this is my best is answer is because, it is the root of all three of my answers. My other two answers are creating a tutoring program for all foster care agencies, and creating a mentorship program. Stability helps keep a child emotionally and mentally fit. With a stable life, which would mean less moving around from school to school and less traumatic experiences of being torn from those they trust, the child is much more likely to make it to graduating high school. According to, an article created by the University of San Francisco, foster children in Washington are 57% less likely to graduate high school than non foster children, one of the main reasons being instability.
How best can foster care services help a foster care child graduate from highschool? The best answer to my essential question is, increasing stability in foster children's lives. The reason this is my best is answer is because, it is the root of all three of my answers. My other two answers are creating a tutoring program for all foster care agencies, and creating a mentorship program. Stability helps keep a child emotionally and mentally fit. With a stable life, which would mean less moving around from school to school and less traumatic experiences of being torn from those they trust, the child is much more likely to make it to graduating high school. According to, an article created by the University of San Francisco, foster children in Washington are 57% less likely to graduate high school than non foster children, one of the main reasons being instability.
(2) What process did you take to arrive at this answer?
I had to think about where the foster children's future are most at risk of hitting a downfall. High school is where kids are set into life but, most of them do not even get passed that. This is how I realized the focus of my essential question. Getting to my answers just took my interviewees answers. My old mentor Vanessa Vizzard loved to focus on how stability and support are two very vital needs for a child. These two topics turned into more answers of stability and mentorship. My newer mentor Jasmine Coleman could not stress the importance of tutoring and my research always made the answers I came across stronger. I then had to choose a best answer and realized that stability is very important in all three.
I had to think about where the foster children's future are most at risk of hitting a downfall. High school is where kids are set into life but, most of them do not even get passed that. This is how I realized the focus of my essential question. Getting to my answers just took my interviewees answers. My old mentor Vanessa Vizzard loved to focus on how stability and support are two very vital needs for a child. These two topics turned into more answers of stability and mentorship. My newer mentor Jasmine Coleman could not stress the importance of tutoring and my research always made the answers I came across stronger. I then had to choose a best answer and realized that stability is very important in all three.
(3) What problems did you face? How did you resolve them?
One of the biggest challenges I faced was finding mentorship because, of age restrictions. Many places connected to foster care or children in general were banned because, I am a minor. They do not trust interactions between the children and myself. I had to find a way around this dilemma. I found mentorship with Trinity Youth Services, a foster care agency but, I worked in the financial segment of the operation avoiding contact with foster kids directly. To meet the needs of experience with children and the way they behave in general I left it up to my independent component to take over. I work as a teacher's assistant.
One of the biggest challenges I faced was finding mentorship because, of age restrictions. Many places connected to foster care or children in general were banned because, I am a minor. They do not trust interactions between the children and myself. I had to find a way around this dilemma. I found mentorship with Trinity Youth Services, a foster care agency but, I worked in the financial segment of the operation avoiding contact with foster kids directly. To meet the needs of experience with children and the way they behave in general I left it up to my independent component to take over. I work as a teacher's assistant.
(4) What are the two most significant sources you used to answer your essential question and why?
The two most important sources I used to answer my essential questions were my older mentor Vanessa Vizzard. She knew many things about the system and helped me find two of my answers. The second source would be an article titled, Understanding Foster Youth Educational Outcomes; this article gave me lots of statistics and data on the problems of foster children education.
The two most important sources I used to answer my essential questions were my older mentor Vanessa Vizzard. She knew many things about the system and helped me find two of my answers. The second source would be an article titled, Understanding Foster Youth Educational Outcomes; this article gave me lots of statistics and data on the problems of foster children education.
(5) What is your product and why?
I learned from my mentor Jasmine Coleman that in order to get things done to make a difference, I have to be the one to take initiative. She as the volunteer coordinator at trinity Youth Services taught me this. She is the reason for my next foster care club workshop.
No comments:
Post a Comment